What is the difference between used and refurbished?
There are several significant differences between a used product and a refurbished product.
What is a used product?
A used product is a device purchased from its previous owner.
- A used product's working condition is not guaranteed; it hasn't undergone any functional tests. Any issue with the hardware or software is either undetected or unrepaired.
- There is no warranty for the device.
- The device could come with user data that wasn't deleted.
In essence, you are buying someone else's device with very little knowledge about its performance and history.
What is a refurbished product?
A refurbished product is a device you purchase from a professional refurbisher.
- A refurbished product has been examined by a certified refurbisher, who has replaced or fixed any faulty part.
- It works just as well as a brand-new device.
- It comes with a warranty.
- There is no previous user data.
You are buying a device that is as good as new, with guarantees as to its performance.
As you can see from the handy diagram below, a refurbished product comes very close to buying a new Apple product.
Does a refurbished product look used?
When you buy a refurbished device, you know exactly what kind of cosmetic condition you can expect. There are different grades for this that go all the way to mint condition.
What are the pros of buying a refurbished device over a used one?
- You know what kind of cosmetic condition to expect of your device before you decide to buy.
- You are getting a device that is in full working condition.
- Your refurbished product comes with a warranty, thank you very much.
- You are not creating any more electronic waste (the planet says thanks).
- And did we mention the awesome refurb discounts?